1.7
Style and Design

My wife and I built a new home last year and upon completion hired a local Hunter Douglas rep to install ( cellular shades ) window treatments.They looked beautiful when first installed, but I mentioned to the installer that two of the shades ( 5x7 ) were too heavy for the lifting mechanisms.

She assured me they would be just fine. Well here we are 14 months down the road and the lifting strings ( and they are strings not cords ) inside the the lifting mechanism have broken twice in one and once in the other. They have both pulled off of their plastic mounting brackets ( one was cracked in half )at least once due to the force required to raise them. Installer came out and reattached them.

The first time one of the strings broke I called the installer and she came out and restrung it for no charge. A couple months down the road and it breaks again and was told it would cost $75 to restring again. Mind you these are only 14 months old. I told her I would have to think about it.

Now the second one has broken and the same $75 charge would apply to restring it. I told her how disappointed we were with these shades and so she contacted Hunter Douglas and was told it would cost us $1400 to replace the two shades. Unacceptable! According to their warranty normal use is not covered.

Basically if you use them and something breaks it's not covered under warranty. What a joke. I took them both down and replaced them with shades from Blinds.com for a fraction of the cost and they look just as good as the Hunter Douglas which were more than 3 times the price and they come with metal mounting brackets not cheap plastic ones. Btw, the lifting mechanism in the new ones is silky smooth to operate.

I will never buy another overpriced Hunter Douglas product.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. This person is quite happy with was ok until my blinds started breaking strings and stated that there is a room for improvement of unsatisfactory resolution for defective product. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss warranty issue of hunter douglas window installation and associated monetary loss in the amount of $1400. Hunter Douglas needs to issue a full refund according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned hunter douglas window installation in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Hunter Douglas.

Had an Experience with Hunter Douglas?

Comments

Aurora, Ontario, Canada #1334336

I am sad I did not read this before spending the $6700 on this junk. Your description matches exactly what I experienced this May, 2017. I am never buying Hunter Douglas products again!!

Leduc, Alberta, Canada #1200701

The blind in the picture is definitely not a HunterDouglas blind.I can tell by the headrail and the cheap look of the fabric.

I own HunterDouglas cellular blinds so I know.

Leduc, Alberta, Canada #1200691

This is a paid review from blind.com obviously!What he's saying about the cord not covered under warranty is completely a lie.

I've own HunterDouglas blinds for years and they very great being stand behind their products.They recorded for me under warranty with no charge.