Hunter Douglas - Overpriced Junk

My wife and I built a new home last year and upon completion hired a local Hunter Douglas rep to install ( cellular shades ) window treatments.They looked beautiful when first installed, but I mentioned to the installer that two of the shades ( 5x7 ) were too heavy for the lifting mechanisms.

She assured me they would be just fine. Well here we are 14 months down the road and the lifting strings ( and they are strings not cords ) inside the the lifting mechanism have broken twice in one and once in the other. They have both pulled off of their plastic mounting brackets ( one was cracked in half )at least once due to the force required to raise them. Installer came out and reattached them.

The first time one of the strings broke I called the installer and she came out and restrung it for no charge. A couple months down the road and it breaks again and was told it would cost $75 to restring again. Mind you these are only 14 months old. I told her I would have to think about it.

Now the second one has broken and the same $75 charge would apply to restring it. I told her how disappointed we were with these shades and so she contacted Hunter Douglas and was told it would cost us $1400 to replace the two shades. Unacceptable! According to their warranty normal use is not covered.

Basically if you use them and something breaks it's not covered under warranty. What a joke. I took them both down and replaced them with shades from for a fraction of the cost and they look just as good as the Hunter Douglas which were more than 3 times the price and they come with metal mounting brackets not cheap plastic ones. Btw, the lifting mechanism in the new ones is silky smooth to operate.

I will never buy another overpriced Hunter Douglas product.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Style and Design

• What I liked
    • Was ok until my blinds started breaking strings
  • What I disliked
    • Unsatisfactory resolution for defective product

Reason of review:
Hunter Douglas Duette Shades
Review category
Furniture and Decor
review #890239

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Hunter Douglas? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 18 #1200701 Leduc, Alberta

The blind in the picture is definitely not a HunterDouglas blind. I can tell by the headrail and the cheap look of the fabric. I own HunterDouglas cellular blinds so I know.

0 0 Reply

Aug 18 #1200691 Leduc, Alberta

This is a paid review from obviously! What he's saying about the cord not covered under warranty is completely a lie. I've own HunterDouglas blinds for years and they very great being stand behind their products. They recorded for me under warranty with no charge.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.