My wife and I built a new home last year and upon completion hired a local Hunter Douglas rep to install ( cellular shades ) window treatments.They looked beautiful when first installed, but I mentioned to the installer that two of the shades ( 5x7 ) were too heavy for the lifting mechanisms.
She assured me they would be just fine. Well here we are 14 months down the road and the lifting strings ( and they are strings not cords ) inside the the lifting mechanism have broken twice in one and once in the other. They have both pulled off of their plastic mounting brackets ( one was cracked in half )at least once due to the force required to raise them. Installer came out and reattached them.
The first time one of the strings broke I called the installer and she came out and restrung it for no charge. A couple months down the road and it breaks again and was told it would cost $75 to restring again. Mind you these are only 14 months old. I told her I would have to think about it.
Now the second one has broken and the same $75 charge would apply to restring it. I told her how disappointed we were with these shades and so she contacted Hunter Douglas and was told it would cost us $1400 to replace the two shades. Unacceptable! According to their warranty normal use is not covered.
Basically if you use them and something breaks it's not covered under warranty. What a joke. I took them both down and replaced them with shades from Blinds.com for a fraction of the cost and they look just as good as the Hunter Douglas which were more than 3 times the price and they come with metal mounting brackets not cheap plastic ones. Btw, the lifting mechanism in the new ones is silky smooth to operate.
I will never buy another overpriced Hunter Douglas product.
More Review Details
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Style and Design|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
What I liked
- Was ok until my blinds started breaking strings
What I disliked
- Unsatisfactory resolution for defective product
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I purchased an IKEA Kullen Wardrobe a few weeks ago and I am still having problems. I wanted to give a disclosure for anyone who is thinking about purchasing the..."
- " I recently moved to fayetteville nc from alabama. Now i had furniture from the aarons there and paid for and recieved amazing customer service. now the first time i went into..."
- "We paid nearly 4,000.00 for a custom Paula Sofa. It was finally brought to us last week. I had to refuse delivery! A PIECE OF JUNK I would not..."
- "since October I've have had 5 people to see the water damage from the dish. attached are pictures and all have agreed the damage from the dish. the frustration is..."
- "I have ordered numerous products from SOE and they are great, the belts fray a little over time but they're still tough. I've used some of their stuff in a..."
- "We rented from Avis-Budget in Israel and had the worst experience of our lives. The car was delivered to us in a dark garage. When I arrived to pick up..."
- "Husband needed a birth certificate quickly to change over his driver's license from another state. We went through Vital Chek, starting their process back in the middle of June...."
- "Let me first explain why these lanyards are so important. On 11/02/16 a junior at Grand Junction High School committed suicide by shooting himself in the parking lot of the..."
- "Grand Junction, Colorado - Mesa County Public Trustee, Michael D. Moran, has egregiously violated the trust of the citizens of Mesa County, Colorado as well as United States taxpayers by..."