Style and Design

i purchased very expensive silhouette shades for my home.Part of the buying decision was the lifetime warranty for replacement of defects.

The glue that holds the inside panels to the outside sheers has come off and some of the inside panels have fallen. Hunter Douglas claims this is due to normal wear and tear and they aren't responsible. This shade is in a window that doesn't get opened and the shade doesn't get manipulated - it just hangs there. One rep offered to have me send it in for a warranty inspection, another said that they guaranteed me if I did that, it would be rejected as a warranty claim.

Apparently the lifetime of a Hunter Douglas shade is 12 years according to their customer service reps.

Beyond that it is the customer's responsibility for "normal wear and tear".I will never buy from this company again - their warranty claims are misleading and they obviously just want people to spend more money on their products that don't hold up.

Review about: Hunter Douglas Sheer Blinds.

Reason of review: Warranty issue.

Preferred solution: I just want to warn others. HD already said that 12 years is the expected life span and they won't honor the warranty..

I liked: Got back to me in a timely manner, Other shades with same defect were replaced before, Previous replacement silhouette shades are holding up just fine.

I didn't like: Misleading warranty, Unpublished meaning of lifetime to actually be 12 years.

The warranty is product lifetime, not yours.Anything exposed to direct sunlight will eventually degrade.

Yes, that includes top of the line Hunter Douglas shades. Normal wear and tear includes UV exposure, fading and eventual fabric deterioration. Your LifeTime Limited Warranty covers defects, not normal wear and tear. The average lifespan of a Silhouette is about 12 years.

I have seen some last longer without delamination.

Go to a reputable dealer and show them your shades.Hunter Douglas will replace the shade if the fabric is delaminating because of a defect in manufacturing.

Did you ask for assistance from Hunter Douglas or from the person or company where they were purchased?One of my clients had a delamination problem with one of their shades and I called the company, emailed a photo and they sent out a replacement within 10 days.

The shade was 14 years old!

No problem!So sorry this happened to you!

to Anonymous #1438655

The company I bought them from is no longer in business. I dealt directly with Hunter Douglas and then wrote to the CEO. Yes, I am sorry too!

These would have been replaced immediately, these are not hunter.Some other companies are trying to put bad stuff on this site.

Please don't believe this. It is a scam. A silhouette doesn't look like this.

They are bad mouthing hunter because they can't make this blind.You people are all liars.

to Anonymous #1409095

I guarantee you these are Hunter Douglas Blinds.That's what they look like when the glue dissolves and yes they are a silhouette.

And no - they would not replace them.

I know what I bought!Your post is wrong and irresponsible.

Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States #1326299

I would love 12 years...we got one and they are being pissy about a c Ailey rotor or some part that has not in anyway been abused

Longmont, Colorado, United States #1308689

HD will not honor my lifetime warranty, either.They now claim my lifetime warranty is only good for 7 years on their defective pull-cord system.

The pull-cords do are too thin for the weight of the shade and/or their defective mechanism shreds cords. The cords last only 1-2 years under normal usage.

I have had them replaced before, but they replaced them with the same design.Now they will no longer honor their warranty.

to RT San Leandro, California, United States #1324708

HD will not honor my lifetime warranty, either!I just leraned that today!

I have done the so- called "operation cord" repairs for the last a couple of years which were beyond 7-years.

Indeed, their design for the cords last only around 2 years under normal usage. The service guy told me that they need to charge me $51.75 for the repair.

Now I am asking what would be the repair warranty.Hope that they can let me know.